Topband: Quarter-wavelength patterns available

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Mon Dec 9 13:02:59 EST 2013

Tim,

I have experimented (successfully) with two sets of loops spaced 1/4-wave. They were wired to be in phase when broadside, and 180 deg. (phase reversed) when in endfire mode. Endfire could be improved with different phasing, but the 0/180 setup is very simple.

When broadside, the main lobe is narrowed somewhat, with better S/N but not a big difference to the ears.

Endfire, you get the same F/B as a single loop, but add two very deep nulls off the sides. Since the null is also overhead, the array now rejects high angles. The pattern improvement is quite dramatic in many cases.

73, Gary
K9AY