Topband: ARRL 160 contest observation

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Wed Dec 11 10:03:50 EST 2013

I spent almost all of the second night of the ARRL 160 test, just running, little to no S&P. This probably shows up in my final score as a high QSO count but comparatively low mult count. I certainly didn't rack up the most 5-pointers of the east coast guys, either!

Interestingly... whenever I worked a DX station while running, sometimes even before I successfully copied all of the DX's call, other folks would start showing up on my run frequency trying to work, I guess, the DX. Often I worked them even if they were dupes.

Sometimes the EU DX I worked seemed to come "in a streak" too. I don't have the best station in the world and it's unusual for me to work 5 EU's in a row but it happened on several occasions. This may have just been a couple of "good condx to EU" highlights the second evening.
I'll be going to go back and look at reversebeacon and manual spots from those nights, and see what correlations there might be.

Tim N3QE