Topband: Insulator problems- Notr og caution

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Mon Dec 16 20:52:59 EST 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:32:41 -0500
  "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com>
wrote:
> Many black plastics are "blackened" by the addition of
>"carbon black" that
> can make them rather lossy at RF!  "Been there, done
>that" in my work - at
> 900 MHz.

I have been using 3" black Derlin (Acetal)insulators at
the base of my 160 m vertical. Because the antenna is only
91 foot tall, there are substantial voltages on the
insulators at legal limit. Indeed, one them caught fire
just after a rain-shower, when water got between the
insulator and the metal. I replaced the burned insulator
with the a new one and covered all the insulators with
high voltage putty. That was about two years ago and I had
zero trouble with any of them since.

George
AA7JV