Topband: Insulator problems

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Dec 17 16:35:40 EST 2013

Thanks Tim.  I might try one of these if I can get them to send them in
single unit quantities.  The one I currently use is a bowl type but
about 3 inches on the flange. I guess for a 160 ATU I should be able to
punch a new hole through the metal box and get it to work.  The one
presently there was all that was left of a motorized 2-30 Mhz automatic
ATU for which I just retained the Vacuum Cap and put in my own 6 inch
flat wound AM coil.  It was made in Ft. Lauderdale, FL over 40 years ago
but the beehive feed through was made from some glazed bead like
material which must soak up water like a sponge although so far has not
failed in my tower's wire cage feed tuning box at the base.  I had even
considered replacing it with a small necked rum bottle glued into the
original hole.  But the idea of a large porcelain replacement would look
so much better.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ