Topband: DX-100 adventure - progress

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 23:11:37 EST 2013

On 12/20/2013 11:00 PM, Charlie Cunningham wrote:
> BTW, Biii - tip/suggestion  - for those series-connected electrolytics you
> probably should put a pair of equal value resistors - one across each series
> capacitor, as the leakage currents will not be equal in each capacitor in
> each series string and the DC voltage won't divide equally across each
> capacitor unless you put individual "bleeder" or "swamping" resistors across
> each cap in the series pair to equalize the DC across each capacitor in the
> series!  I'll be interested to see how it turns out! I never had a DX-100
> "Benton Harbor Kilowatt"!  I did  have a DX-40 for a while, but no 160 on
> that one, though! I do have an EF Johnson Navigator in pretty good condition
> that needs to  have all of its electrolytics replaced because of their age.
> I does have 160 (and 11 meters also!).
>
> Good luck and Merry Christmas!
>
> 73,
> Charlie, K4OTV

Hi Charlie,

In the DX-100 there is already a big honking pair of bleeder resistors
so that the bleeder is divided with one half across each half of the
series pair. I think that's what you meant. The DX-100 originally had
two caps rated at 450 volts in series and the bleeder set up that way.

73,

Bill  KU8H