Topband: Subject:RE: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Sat Feb 2 15:38:14 EST 2013

Hi Ron,

Construction of a phase inversion transformer is covered in detail on page 23 of the excellent paper published by W5ZN and N4HY:

http://www.w5zn.org/files/Design%20Construction%20&%20Evaluation%20of%20the%208%20Circle%20Vertical%20Array%20for%20Low%20Band%20Receiving%20Rev%203A%2002-25-2011.pdf

My phase inversion transformer uses the Fairite 2873000202 binocular core popularized by W8JI for use in Beverage matching and receiving crossfire transformers.

http://www.newark.com/fair-rite/2873000202/ferrite-core-cylindrical/dp/02E8908

My transformer windings are made of twisted red and white 26 AWG insulated telephone wire or you could use Category 5 Ethernet cable or just about any other small diameter insulated wire.  The twisted pair is passed three times through both holes in the binocular core (three times returning back to the starting point of winding).  The red wire is grounded at one end of the twisted pair and the black wire is grounded at the opposite end of the twisted pair.  The remaining wires are the input and output of the phase inversion transformer.   It took me longer to type this explanation than to fabricate a transformer!

I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

73
Frank
W3LPL