Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Feb 5 11:02:46 EST 2013

The "Wullenwever" antenna was never a low-noise high performance antenna. It
was simply a system designed to find direction over a very wide frequency
range. The multitude of elements increased bandwidth, but the physical width
in wavelengths is the primary determinant of directivity.

If we had a 350-foot width array, it would work essentially the same on 160
meters with four elements as with 400 elements. The extra elements primarily
extend the cutoff upwards in frequency and allow more direction choices.

Of course we all know some antennas break rules, and directivity is more
than size in wavelengths. Some CB antennas use 8 elements on a 36-foot boom
and have a power multiplication of 20.5 dB or 115 times, and have 28 dB of
audio gain.

http://www.jogunn.com/store/antennas/conventional-series/jo-gunn-8-conventional-detail.html

If we could just build one of those for 160!!