Topband: Snap and seal connectors

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Thu Feb 7 16:03:47 EST 2013

On 2013-02-06, at 8:32 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:

> As a standard practice, and from field experience, we flooded the center of the connector with clear silicon dielectric compound. A suitable material is readily available at almost any auto parts store as "Dielectric Tune Up Grease" in a silver squeeze tube.

Standard practice with some cable TV systems here in Ontario is to use Vaseline-brand petroleum jelly as an aid against water intrusion & corrosion...

Here, with my "L's", I use ordinary PL-259 / SO-239 coax connectors at each base: I apply Vaseline to the prongs of the PL-259's, and swab a bit onto the threads of the SO-239's , before mating them. I then apply a VERY generous coat of Silicone !! sealant all over the pair, well beyond the end of the connector & on up the coax cable...

Come Spring, when it's time to stow the antenna, I simply get an X-acto knife, make a longitudinal cut into the silicone (being careful not to cut TOO deep), then peel off the silicone...

I've done this for some 6 years now, with nary a problem with water intrusion---and the connectors come apart just as easily as the day that I Vaselined them...

Call the technique "red-necked", or "hillbilly", it works for me---and it uses cheap, readily-available, material...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ