Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 13:00:13 EST 2013

I have been wondering if the antenna element in phased arrays could be a loop rather than a vertical. My thinking is that the loop has some level of directivity so phasing two of them should result in better side lobe suppression compared to a vertical. Is there any merit to this thought? Specifically, will I see better RDF numbers if I were to use loop elements in any of the active 8 and 4 circle systems (e.g., DX Engineering, Hi-Z Antennas, etc.)?

Rudy N2WQ