Topband: Trees (not the N6TR kind)

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jan 1 22:35:47 EST 2013

> I recall comments at a hamfest talk several years ago from Roy, W7EL, that
> his two-element 40m vertical array appeared to have an unintended null in
> the direction of a stand of evergreen trees not too far away from his
> antenna system.  While this is two octaves above 160m, it at least
> indicates the possibility of absorption problems.  In all likelihood,
> different tree species at different times of year could introduce a lot of
> variability.

That was a rather dense stand of trees.

A few trees a reasonable distance from a LF antenna are not going to do
anything observable. A single tree at 2 GHz can mean 20-40 dB. It has
nothing to do with resonance, but rather how much the electric field is
killed by the resistors sticking up in the air.