Topband: A little assistance needed with an attempt at a T antenna

Ashton Lee Ashton.R.Lee at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:44:03 EST 2013

I don't believe that the off center top loading will have a huge effect if you feed it as a T, vs a symmetric  T

Theory would say that a ground fed T against even  3-4 radials will have a lower DX angle. The price you pay is the ground losses of a vertical (not due to the modest ground radial system, but true of all vertically polarized antennae). Let me hazard the guess that you will be down about 1-2 S-units versus an ideal monopole vertical. That's not bad given that you don't have 160 acres and a 135 foot tower. An amp puts you right back in the game.

Basically it would be nice if you set it up so as to be able to switch from one feed to the other to test, since your existing antenna did OK. But I suspect you will like it slightly more as a vertically fed T.

You might pick up a bit of efficiency by using a full length, or even over 1/4 wl inverted L since the longer antenna should have more radiation resistance. 127-135 feet of wire, roughly.

A bigger deal will be to work out a receiving antenna set up. I've had terrific luck with the Wellbrook loop which will easily fit into your set up. Because your transmitting antenna will be non-ressonant you shouldn't need to worry about having the receiving antenna close to it. If you do go with a resonant L you may pick up noise off that.

KQ0C
Ash