Topband: Heater Choke Value

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 12:11:48 EST 2013

Hi, Mike

Well, I would think that a reactance of perhaps 150-200 ohms at 160 ( if
your conversion includes 160) would be sufficient. That should be
sufficiently large relative to the tubes' input impedances that it shouldn't
have much of an effect on the amp's input impedance. If you try to make the
choke too large, you ay run into problems with stray and unwanted resonances
on the higher bands. I agree that 12 gauge wire sounds a bit heavy at 4 amps
of filament current, but the main reason for the heavier gauge wire, I
expect, is to prevent any significant drop in filament voltage. Most power
tubes are pretty sensitive to that. Check the data sheets on the tubes that
you are using for minimum and maximum filament voltage.

Charlie, K4OTV