Topband: Need help to improve DX on 1/2 acre lot from CA

k7xq at elite.net k7xq at elite.net
Sat Jan 12 15:49:44 EST 2013

Hello All,
I just assigned myself onto this forum, its been a long time and needs some
help and would appreciate some questions answered on this huge experienced
based forum.

First, I want to describe my problem. I have a 1/2 acre lot in the back
property where I install
my antennas. The largest HF antenna is a HyGain Hy Tower which works great
on 40 and 80. On 160, I
run a separate radiator that runs up the side of the hytower separated by 6
inch insulators up to
the top and then runs horizontal sloped from the top of the hygain hytower
downward to a fence support
that results in a full sized 1/4 WL inverted L on 160. The 160 meter
feedpoint is common to the hytower
feedpoint.

I live in the central valley of California which is only about 300 feet ASL.
I do not live near the coast
nor live in the "high desert ".

Some facts regarding this station:

1. I still have not copied or worked into Europe. I have been on this band
somewhat seriously for at least 5 years
2. I hear a few Russians but they don't hear me.
3. I heard a FM5 last few nights peaking 559, called him countleesly with no
QSO. My power is about 800 W on this band ( single 3-500 ). I am looking
into finding a single GS35 amp for all bands on HF....love that tube.
4. I don't have the capacity to erect a full size radiator on this band
although I am curious about the Titanix 160 vertical, what it is and is it
worth looking into ?
5. I have read a lot about the K9AY RX loop. I have room for is antenna but
before I construct one, what are your opinions ?
6. I also read about a 225 foot beverage run close to the ground as a RX
ant. How does this compare to the K9AY loop ?
7. What is the best "short 160 vertical configuration" that has the best
performance for working DX ?
8. You will notice I mentioned that I only run a single ground radial on
each band. Would adding lets say 3 more
Make the difference between night and day for TX or RX ?

I think that's about it for now...73.....

Jeff K7XQ
Atwater, CA.
K7XQ website: http://users.elite.net/k7xq/k7xq.html