Topband: Help with RFI

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jan 13 07:48:02 EST 2013

I would seriously consider going wireless.  A few years ago I had a
direct strike on the top of my tower. Fortunately, everything was
disconnected, so I sustained no damage in the shack.  In fact, the only
significant damage was to two computers on a cabled Ethernet network,
both of which showed physical signs of damage at and near the Ethernet
port.  It was clear to me that induced current from the strike, picked
up by the Ethernet cable, was responsible.  I switched our house over to
wireless networking and have been completely satisfied.  It doesn't hurt
that it all operates at UHF.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,