Topband: RIG PROTECTION FROM BEVERAGES

Wayne Willenberg wewill747 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:25:04 EST 2013

I have my 2 reversible Beverages (designed by Tom, W8JI and sold by DX
Engineering) installed and am thrilled with their performance!  Now I can
listen in 4 directions, one at a time of course, with greatly reduced
noise.  Stations I could never work suddenly pop out of the noise when I
switch to the Beverage.

I did so much research on the construction and installation of the
Beverages, I feel really stupid because I didn't think of one possibly
critical aspect (nor did I see it discussed).  I have the 75 Ohm coax from
the Beverages connected directly to the receive antenna input on my
FT-5000.  If high voltage should get induced by lightning, isn't it going
to fry at least the front end of my receiver?

How you you provided for this possibility?

Thanks as always for your help.

Wayne, KK6BT