Topband: 160 knocking out modem

Ken Eigsti diverken at chaffee.net
Wed Jan 23 19:02:15 EST 2013

The one major problem with the DSL is that every time I would key on 160
the DSL would just shut down and loose connectivity completely. I tried
building filters, toroid wraps and even shielded tel-co wiring but
anything over 50 watts on 160 cause a disconnection using the DSL
service. I tried four different DSL modems, still no improvement.
Then Dan, K3ZXL suggested I try a filter made by Westek Electronics,
their type TC-Z100B1 telephone DSL line filter, which I ordered right on
line from their website at www.westek.com.

The item cost only $8.50 with shipping cost of $5.95. After
installation all the interference which used to crash the connection is
gone. Shipping cost were $5.95. Now running a full KW on 160 is
possible after plugging this filter between the wall jack and the DSL
modem.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Hello
A word of caution regarding the above "solution" to 160 getting into and
shutting down a modem.
I ordered the TC-Z100B1 and put it in line and it does not allow DSL to
pass. I called Westek and talked to the head engineer (John Martin) and he
verified it would not work as it will not pass DSL. My DSL comes from
Century Link (Formerly Quest) over my phone line.

73 Ken W0LSD