Topband: alternative to vacuum variables

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Jan 25 08:30:37 EST 2013

Thanks, Tom.  I thought I recalled this advice from an earlier reflector
post, but couldn't find it.  Thanks also to everyone elsewho replied,
and the many interesting ideas

My single 97-foot tower has two tri-band yagis and a 2-element shortened
40m yagi at the top, as well as an 80-meter lazy-vee array deployed all
around it.  When I set up the shunt feed years ago, I did a lot of
climbing around on it, trying to find a 50-ohm point.  Only after not
being able to find one did I install the shunt feed at an arbitrary
point (about 50 feet, and yes, it's a single wire) and configure an
Omega match with a couple of 3000v 300pf variable capacitorsfrom Henry
Radio.

I know it is a very sub-optimum system (not enough radials either), but
I have it set for a 1:1 SWR at 1825 and it satisfies my occasional needs
for a 160-meter transmitting antenna.

See you all in CQ 160.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at