Topband: Coupla things

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Sun Jan 27 13:23:40 EST 2013

I didn't notice the keyclicks so bad, but what did bother me was one local who had an incredible amount of (?) phase noise (it was keyed broadband noise plus whiny synth noise) up and down from his very enthusiastic CQ'ing, and a number of guys who had some pretty bad 120Hz ripple, bad enough their sigs were most of a kHz wide.

There was one very loud guy in new england Sunday AM, who for the life of me I could not copy his call when my RX antenna was pointed at him (my memory was jarred by someone talking about "UFO" sounds), but when I pointed away he sounded just fine. I'm guessing some sort of multipath. It's more than just the ghostly sound of a local when the the band is "being long", my guess is something is actually happening to dynamically shift phase so much that it sounded like the reflections are an audibly different different tone.

Tim N3QE