Topband: Coupla things ...

Rick Kiessig kiessig at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:46:34 EST 2013

This isn't a problem only in contests.

In non-contest settings, nearly every time I'm on the air for any length of
time (SSB), it results in a pileup (no matter which band). Things generally
go smoothly in most parts of the world, with the notable exception of EU.

Many ops on the other end there seem to be increasingly unaware of, or
unconcerned for, reasonable operating procedures. They transmit on top of
me, they respond when I ask for a partial even when their call isn't close,
they say their call ten times, trying to block everyone else, they even TX
in the middle of an established QSO. They don't *listen*. Another regular
thing these days is that someone apparently gets unhappy and starts "tuning
up" (really just sending a carrier) on my run frequency for an extended
period. Some of it might be called "bullying," but it also smells of
near-desperation.

I don't claim to have an answer. Mostly, I just grin and bear it, and try to
pick out the well behaved and/or quiet operators when I can. I have to say,
though, that people who sign by saying "have fun with the pileup" have it
backwards. At least for me, a big pileup full of inconsiderate operators is
much more work than fun.

73, Rick ZL2HAM