Topband: Keyclicks / AGC

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Jan 28 20:23:18 EST 2013

> There are several legal-limit contest stations within a few miles of me
> and I'm used to a strong-signal environment. And how it can pump AGC
> causing audible artifacts that are not in the transmitter. And I will
> generally disable AGC for anything but ear saving purposes. Why set AGC to
> make all signals sound the loudness as each other, or use AGC to make the
> noise be as loud as a signal?

As long as the AGC is taken after the narrow filter, AGC is not an issue. If
AGC is sourced before the strong signal has been filtered, then it can be an
issue.

DSP systems can create problems if not preceded by a good roofing filter.  I
set the roofing filters in the K3 to tip-in narrower than the DSP setting.
Then, until I crank a lot narrower than the roofing filter, the DSP is not
an issue.

AGC is a great thing. It is an absolute requirement in contests. I can't
imagine not using it, unless it is an AWA contest and I'm using a BC348.

73 Tom