Topband: Signal complaints and auto bias

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Tue Jan 29 15:50:37 EST 2013

On 2013-01-29, at 10:07 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:

> Having a K3 does not make all signals clean, and not having one does not make all signals dirty. It is the entire system that matters, and there is certainly more than one clean radio in the world.

That statement alone pretty much says it all, Tom---it is, indeed, the entire SYSTEM that needs to be scrutinized in cases of key clicks, which only serves to make the ailment just that much more complex to the struggling (and sincere) afflicted Ham.

It is my personal suspicion that (A) we're lucky if even HALF of us really & truly know how to PROPERLY drive a linear amplifier, and---a VERY important point, in and of itself---(B) the vast majority of to-day's Amateurs have no clue on how to properly evaluate a signal for clicks. Far too often we've
heard of guys complaining of "phase noise" on someone's signal, when in fact it's a tonal quality that's far less than "T9" they're actually hearing: that being the case, how might we expect these same critics to ever be entrusted in accurately identifying & defining "clicks"...?!

Education is needed on BOTH sides of the signal, IMHO: and I honestly believe that Tree's approach is a VERY good one and merits repeating, i.e.:

1. Find out if other people were having the same issue.
2. Contact the person.
3. Help them "hear" what I was hearing.
4. Have them fix the issue.
5. Help them verify that the problem is fixed.

Snipey / "clever" personal derogatory comments on chat room sites, and disparaging remarks about one's fellows both on & off the air, simply does NOT cut it. Rather than risk being "part of the problem", one's first instinct should really be a sincere effort at being "part of the solution"...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ