Topband: Desktop Power Supply Brand/Noise Question

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Sat Jul 20 17:11:07 EDT 2013

Hi Clay,

One thing you might want to check.

See if you can get inside the power supply...disconnect it first. Take a
look on the PCB near the power connector.  There may be a space on the
PCB where you can install a power line filter....something like a CorCom
or similar.  Sometimes they leave them out on some models to save money.

If you Google CorCom you find info on the different models...just be
sure to get the correct ratings.  They also sell filters with built-in
IEC connectors.  An IEC connector is what the power cord plugs into.
you may be able to get one that works.

On 7/20/2013 9:27 AM, Clay Melhorn wrote:
> Hello to the group.I recently built an AMD quadcore machine I intend to eventually replace my trusty XP Pro machines.
> Foolishly got in a hurry to complete the build and purchased a PS from a local shop.It supplies the power required without issue, I have discovered why the price was so good.Jim Brown will love this one, virtually no RFC filtering, you get what you pay for and I know betterjust didn't realize the noise from 40m and down would be SO intense particularly on a Delta pennantthat points back toward the shack's general direction.  The XP machines are very quiet.Live and learn.
> Question: Looking at another "good deal" how do the COOLER MASTER PS's rate for RFC filteringor are there others brand I should be looking at?
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS072013&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS072013-_-EMC-072013-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17171031-L04B
> Will likely not waste time trying to make a Cadillac out of the Yugo I purchased.
>
> Thankyou in advance,
>
> Clay Melhorn N9IO Bonfield, ILWebmaster: KARS - Kankakee Area Radio Society - W9AZ http://www.w9az.com/

> Topband Reflector

Gary K9GS