Topband: Fw: Inv-L joy

Tom Boucher tom at telemetry.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 13:31:54 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Boucher
To: 160 reflector
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:30 PM
Subject: Inv-L joy

What bothers me about putting the actual antenna wire across the tree is that it is then very close and in fact touching the tree. I'm not sure what loss the tree would cause by having it so close.

My inverted-L is held 85 ft up in an ash tree by nylon rope. I have a rope and insulator near the bottom which stands it off from the tree in the direction of the top section. I guess mine is 5 or 6 ft away at the top and further at the bottom.

Nylon rope is pretty good from an abrasion viewpoint but it will still abrade. My L came down recently after well over a year of backwards and forward over the branches, so now my annual maintenance will include lowering the antenna, shortening the halyard at the top end to allow a fresh section of rope across the branches.

Polyester rope is not nearly as abrasion resistant as nylon but looks very similar, so be careful what you are using!

73
Tom G3OLB