Topband: Lightning QRN season?

Richard Jaeger k4iqj at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 24 07:57:37 EDT 2013

Mike,

The band has been open frequently in the morning to VK/ZL.
Several of us are on almost every morning checking propagation with VK3ZL and others.
The band is open a lot, but activity is low.

I checked the log and have made contact with VK3ZL 29 days since the beginning of May
with signals ranging from 339 to 579 (peaked at 569 this AM).  Dan, W5XZ, may have made more qsos.
Many other days signals have been present but unreadable in the noise.

On the other hand, evening propagation to Europe has been the poorest I remember.
Only a few contacts (G3JMJ & IV3PRK).
I was traveling and missed most of the contests, so don't know about activity then.

Here is the (not very long) list of dx from my log from the beginning of May.

VK3ZL
VK4MA
PJ6/K4UEE
T46C