Topband: Symbol Rates (was [ARRL-LOTW] BoD votes LoTWinitiatives)

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jul 24 10:43:08 EDT 2013

> I don't understand your objection to removal of the symbol rate language.
> Under the existing band plan, CW is expected to co-exist with other
> "digital" modes of all kinds.

I think perhaps Joe is objecting to the potential **bandwidth** of modes
mixing with narrow modes. Many people either don't understand, or are
unwilling to admit, that digital modes can occupy a wide bandwidth, and that
many or most people cannot copy or recognize what is being sent on a
different mode.. Modes really should be segregated by bandwidth and
information type, and symbol rate is at least one way to somewhat set limits
on bandwidth.

I'd prefer to have plans by actual bandwidth, and by compatibility of
decoding. It's wonderful that some people have solutions to their personal
operating style or habits and are not bothered by some existing mode mixes.
In the long term, and for the overall good, it makes no sense at all to mix
incompatible modes, or especially to mix significantly different bandwidths.

Anyone with an ounce of common "radio" sense should be able to think about
this, and understand the potential problems of allowing anything anywhere.

73 Tom