Topband: 160M Rhombics

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Jul 27 10:24:19 EDT 2013

It still boils down to location and propagation.

Nobody is King all the time and some hams have real jobs that keep them away
during some important openings.

Charlie had a very modest and average location and was near the top of DXCC
even before he put up a yagi. Maybe one of those places rumored to exist
where the magic lines of force happens.

Dean, as N6BV/1,  also modeled my QTH for the original TA program that was
part of the K6STI AO/YO package. You might want to check it out. I make no
particular claims but contest results during the stations active days as
well as the ease I worked DX on any band support Deans analysis. He started
the program to see why I consistently beat him during the many times our
paths crossed. He was on another hilltop about 15 miles away and we were
LOS.

I felt it was my homebrew stacked monobanders versus his 4 high stack of
TH-7's but he showed it was the location.
Contesting became boring and the stacks were scaled down to single antennas
and I get on when I feel like it and no longer driven.

BTW, I worked W3CRA Thursday on 40M AM, it is now the Collins Radio
Association often on daily with W3ST operating.

Carl
KM1H