Topband: My Turn For a Brain Pick - Sanity Check

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jun 7 13:12:51 EDT 2013

>I think your too close to tell, or just coupling into every thing around
> there.

I get good F/B on arrays I test, even within a wavelength or two. As long as
the elements are reasonable length (under 1/2 wave) and spacing reasonable,
the pattern should be formed up almost totally by somewhere around ten times
the widest element spacing. With two elements and 1/4 wave spacing, that's
just two-three wavelengths (80-120 meters) away.

As a matter of fact, it is usually better to test at a closer distance than
out at the fringe of groundwave.

There must be some problem with the system. Perhaps inadequate radials,
coupling from element to element through radials, or too much other stuff
making the array not work.

73 Tom