Topband: Common Mode Chokes

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 10 00:30:19 EDT 2013

I have built several chokes on FT240-31 cores with RG142 double silver
shield TFE coax (ok for QRO anywhere at HF) and measured them with my
VNWA 2.6.  For my 160m top loaded vertical I stacked three cores and
used 12 turns for >4k ohms resistive.  My results generally agree with
G3TXQ's and K9YC's charts, although I tend to use a few less turns than
G3TXQ and more ferrite per K9YC to stay further away from the self
resonance frequency.  Keeping the windings tight was important.  The
big  type 31 "clamp ons" are also pretty handy for cables in place or
with PL259's installed.

Grant  KZ1W