Topband: BOG antenna

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jun 12 11:15:57 EDT 2013

> I have a simple switchable coaxial BOG running NE-SW. I have often
> noticed that it is not bothered much by rain. In fact, I would consider
> this a valid "selling point" of the BOG. Having said that, even on a
> rainy day, the longer 2-wire beverage up about 5' still hears slightly
> better (even with the rain static).
>
>>>Wonder how many others have observed the same?

If you avoid sharp points or things that encourage corona discharge on
antennas, or getting them close to or aimed at tall objects that have
corona, the p-static will greatly diminish or go away.

I get no p-static at all on my bare-wire above-ground Beverages, except on
one that points at my tall towers and is a few hundred feet from the towers.
They stay dead quiet for p-static, except of course anything will hear the
lightning noise from storms.