Topband: My Turn For a Brain Pick - Sanity Check

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Jun 13 09:17:46 EDT 2013

> I agree. For me, the primary design objectives are maximizing forward
> gain, beamwidth, and gain bandwidth.  I don't care about F/B.

Null depth is maximum when radiation is equal from the two elements, and
that occurs with equal effective ampere-feet in the antennas. Equal
construction antennas require equal current. The current ratio controls null
depth.

Maximum effective front-to-rear and maximum gain always occurs at some phase
shift more than 180 - spacing. So if spaced  45 degrees, maximum effective
F/R (deepest usable null depth off the back) and maximum gain is some phase
shift more than 180-45 = 135, or in the case of 1/4 wave spacing more than
180 - 90 = 90.  Phase positions the nulls.

I can't imagine anyone would want one single-point null at zero elevation
off the back, when they could have a null cone that is just as deep and
covers a very wide area, or why they  might want less gain, since they get
more gain with that null cone that gives much better F/R. Perhaps the
problem is years and years of not wording things properly in our handbooks,
or not thinking through the problem, has confused people.

73 Tom