Topband: Spam on the Reflector!

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Wed Jun 19 21:59:13 EDT 2013

A game I like to play is discovering where I see where the spam is
coming from. I used to use a program called NeoTrace but it was
bought up by Symantec (Norton Antivirus) and they removed it from the
marketplace. You would enter the url of whatever link or domain you
wish and it would take you there like DX Atlas does and it would show
you all the stops along the way.

Symantec appears to have disabled the tracking feature in NeoTrace so
it's useless now but... If you know what an IP looks like like then
you copy & paste it into the window on the web page here:

http://aruljohn.com/track.pl

and it will show you where in the world that IP is. For the instance,
the IP on the spam today was 190.40.217.23 and aruljohn shows it's
from Peru.

You get the IP by looking at the raw header data and you'll find it
there. It's usually the one at the bottom before the message. It'll
take you a few tries to find all the IP addresses in an email but
once you figure it out it's simple and takes maybe a minute tops to
get your answer.

As for topband; I just got a Weller Portasol. It's butane powered,
the larger one that heats equivalent to a 125W soldering iron. I'm
going to be able to use that to work on my radial connections. I need
to touch-up all the ring terminals and make sure they aren't corroded
after Sandy covered them with salt water. It's a really nice
soldering tool. Lasts a long time on a refill too.

Gary
KA1J