Topband: Elevated Radials

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 2 23:23:15 EST 2013

Tom,

Great stuff! Could you elaborate on a couple of points -

1. I would think that a system with elevated radials that slope upward
towards the far ends (e.g for 160m 10' at feedpoint and 30' at far ends)
should have less loss as the field is less near earth where the voltage
is high in the radial. (unless there is something else that goes the
wrong way).

2. Is 1/4 wl resonance at all important as the number of elevated
radials increases - eg 10 total?  The QEX N6LF papers seem to indicate
that a little less than 1/4 wl is optimum for that number of radials.

As much as I try to get answers to these from EZNEC+ the far field
results are all the same, 4 or 10 elevated radials and sloping or not,
resonant or not.

My VNWA shows my top loaded T for TB is "right on" but it doesn't seem
to work as well as I expected. Perhaps at N48 deg latitude (Redmond, WA)
one should not expect much for 160!

A "suffering seven" transplant,

Grant KZ1W

PS: if you have a moment please explain the pros and cons of skirt
wires.  I think they are a good thing for top hat loading systems, but I
can't reason it out for elevated or in the ground radials. The old VLF
antennas all had them on the elevated ground planes, which isn't in any
current recommended practice.