Topband: 160M Signal Strenghts

Joel Harrison w5zn at w5zn.org
Fri Mar 15 06:25:27 EDT 2013

Gord,

The target noise floor here at my QTH is -130 dBm and I average -128 dBm in
all directions except two that average -125 dBm (line noise issues). The
signal strength of the DX stations I hear and work vary anywhere from 1 to
15+ dBm above the noise floor. My feedlines vary in length from 120 ft to
over 800 ft. I have found with my RX antennas that a preamp does not
improve the signal to noise here so I have never used one.

For me, the biggest mistake 160 meter operators make is believing they can
erect a low noise RX antenna and begin to magically hear stations that
never existed before. Sure, you will hear stations that were previously
there but masked by high noise but RX antennas are only one component of
hearing DX on 160. The prominent factor is propagation and a lot of times
even with the best low noise RX antennas you will just not hear some DX
stations and sometimes spot light prop will shine on a small area. I
generally never hear some of the stations spotted by W1/W2's in New England
or the W3/W4 stations on the east coast. There is a lot of land between
there where I am out in the middle of Arkansas. I use and compare 160 meter
signals with three other stations; K5UR who is 20 miles SW of me, W5UN who
is 200 miles SW and W0FLS who is about 600 miles north. I never try to
compare with the stations out east or way down south near the gulf because
they just get better prop from EU/AF but if I can't hear what K5UR hears I
pooch my lips out and start looking for problems here with the antennas.
W5UN and W0FLS are propagation comparisons.

So, if you have your Beverages installed correctly and have a nice, low
noise floor but stations close to you are hearing DX you aren't you
basically have two options 1) wait for the propagation and/or install a
second, different type of RX antenna to help with different or varying wave
angles. I have four different RX arrays here - Beverages, Vertical Arrays,
K9AY Loop and a low dipole. The only area I struggle with hearing, when
prop is in, is the 5X & 9U area of Africa. A mystery to me I am yet to
resolve (but working like heck on it!! :-))

How far away are the W6/W7 stations you are comparing to and how close to
the west coast are they??

73 ZN

--
73 Joel W5ZN