Topband: Using GE silicone as antenna sealant.

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Mar 18 09:25:54 EDT 2013

After several less than satisfactory experiences with various outdoor sealed boxes and junctions etc. I have had my ladder line, transmit antenna, and all junctions completely exposed to the weather for the past 4 years with no problems.

The problem was never as bad as the corrosion due to sealant, but I found out that what was happening was that I was sealing water in! Obviously I was doing something "wrong" but many of these containers had no lead-ins or holes in the top, only sealed lead-ins with drip loops at the bottom.

I briefly had a NEMA rated junction box with watertight cover and seal over the spark gap, but after water started accumulating in there, I simply removed the cover. Every fall I go blow the leaves and bugs out.

On the receive antenna side... My K9AY relay board and termination resistor are covered by a Tupperware dish but are exposed at the bottom. I had made a brief attempt at sealing them inside the Tupperware but despite drip loops and all the wires entering only at the bottom... I found water accumulating in the Tupperware even though I swear it hadn't rained since I had installed it. I don't have any fancy conformal coating or anything on the K9AY relay/transformer/termination board.

Tim N3QE