Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sat May 4 14:07:18 EDT 2013

I'm having a repeated weird problem with compression F connectors on
quad-shield RG6.  When I connect a short length (say 4 feet) of cable to
my MFJ-259B, I would expect R>650.  Instead, when I wiggle the coax,
occasionally I see the display change to R=0 and X= several hundred ohms
at 1.8 MHz.  This makes no sense to me - the R implies ashort, but
where's all the X coming from?  The problem seems to vary with the same
connector and different PL-259 to F adapters, which makes me wonder what
might be happening inside the adapters, but I can't imagine anything
producing this result.  I have also been unsuccessful in detecting a
short using a simple DC multimeter.

I;'m wondering if I should go through my RX antennas and replace all the
F connectors and particularly the F to 259 adapters with something else,
but what?  BNCs?

Anyone have any wisdom?

--

73, Pete N4ZR