Topband: Magnetic Loops

Ashton Lee Ashton.R.Lee at hotmail.com
Tue May 21 12:51:14 EDT 2013

I have the Wellbrook at 2 QTHs and it works way better than using a transmit antenna on receive. It also works very well early in the evening when signals are still iffy and coming in at all angles. My 300 foot beverage on ground starts to be quieter and therefore more effective later in the evening. The Wellbrook outperforms the K9AY I tried for sure. I don't have much local noise so I can't comment on that other than to say that the demos I've listened to on the net make the loops seem quite effective at nulling noise. Their directionality is much stronger on local signals than on DX.

If you already have extensive receive antennas these may not add much, but if you lack the space for other receive antennas these work great.

KQ0C
Ash