Topband: Thanks!

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Tue May 21 21:55:17 EDT 2013

Well, I haven't used 31 mix material for common-mode chokes or current
baluns, because I didn't have any - but it would be my choice. I used higher
frequency material because I had plenty of it - some in substantial sizes
that would accommodate one or more passes through with RG-213. Generally I
have installed several "beads" or "tubes" of ferrite material on coax - both
to build up the choke impedance and to distribute the heat due to the
resistive loss over a larger volume and surface area. On occasion I have
passed multiple turns of RG-213 through larger cores.

I've had fairly good results, but I don't remember doing much in the way of
detailed measurements of the resulting "baluns" or common-mode chokes - and
yes, I'm quite comfortable "walking around" a Smith Chart from inductive to
capacitive line lengths. About the only "baluns" that I've done detailed
measurement on were at VHF, 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz. - Certainly not topband or
80m stuff!! I have sometimes had very good results winding transformers for
receiving loops or amplifier input matching transformers on more modest
cores - usually binocular - and sometimes made up "binocular" cores by
taping two tubes side-by-side. Not elegant - but seemed to work well.

Regards,
Charlie, K4OTV