Topband: Magnetic Loops

Gary and Kathleen Pearse pearse at gci.net
Tue May 21 22:01:01 EDT 2013

Thanks Tom for the explanation. As always, this is a learning Reflector. Part of my location involves potential BCB, power line, adjacent home electronics, and of course the legal limit transmissions close to the loop/feed/rotator controller. Common mode supression is an absolute requirement on all lines.

As to it's +- effect on the loop, well, as I mentioned, it was a shotgun process during the installation. Without common mode filtering on all cabling I couldn't operate. Such is the dilemma of the city dweller who has an S4-7 noise floor depending upon season. It's substantially worse in winter as explained below.

I'm told that the effective RF ground in these parts of Alaska is 15+ meters down, and it'll find a way into the shack unless crowbarred at the door. Ground rods surrounded by 4-5' of winter frost and non-conductive soils are useless.

73, Gary NL7Y