Topband: Thanks!

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 22 10:41:58 EDT 2013

On 5/21/2013 1:18 PM, ZR wrote:
> Are you now claiming that the thousands of bead choke baluns in use
> for decades at HF and 6M dont work?

I have published extensively on this, first in 2005 in a peer reviewed
AES paper, and later in my RFI tutorial. All of this work is on my
website.  W1HIS published his work on this in 2006. A few years ago, an
engineering supervisor at CIA sent me work from an US Army research
group prepared in the 70s reaching the same conclusions as I had.  And
literature searches for my AES paper found references (in a European
ferrite manufacturer's applications notes) to the importance of
resistance in chokes as far back as the 50s.

> I suspect that those who have been happy with the results in mimizing
> feedline radiation would heartily disagree....

Many people believe many things that are not true. Many false beliefs
are based on a grain of truth. The generalized assumption in ham
literature has been that 500 ohms choking Z is sufficient to prevent
pattern distortion caused by feedline radiation, but W1HIS showed that
increasing choking Z to the range of 5,000 ohms can significantly reduce
receive noise. When I saw his paper, I immediately tried multi-turn
chokes on an antenna that was picking up a lot of noise. The choke
reduced the noise by nearly 10 dB. Since I published my work, hundreds
of hams have told me they have had similar results.

73, Jim K9YC