Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW -BTW

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Fri Nov 1 05:35:34 EDT 2013

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. The link Frank posted mentions
continuous operation which is something I hadn't experienced on 160.
What is amazing to me is how loud their signals are compared to other
signals I hear on the band. I understand its their saltwater location
but that's pretty much what I have too and if I was at 100 watts I
doubt I'd be as loud as those 3W-8W transmitters. Since they're on
frequencies that are outside the 1900-1999Khz they are most likely
from some foreign ported ship operating close to our shore.
Aggravating they make any of those bouys designed to operate in ham
bands at all.

73,
Gary
KA1J

> BTW, Gary,
>
> When Tim, K3LR, started this thread he also reported that the
> signals peaked
> at around 150 deg, from Middlesex, PA, so that, combined with your
> due south
> bearing, would also put the source out to sea! ( and not in NC or
> SC)
>
> 73,
> Charlie, K4OTV

---