Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 07:12:20 EDT 2013

A steady carrier from fish net beacons doesn't fit the pattern of the ones
everyone has heard on 160. That would deplete the batteries fairly quickly.
All the ones I know of send a short carrier and a CW ID followed by a long
period of silence. That lets them be unattended for several days.

If it is a FNB, perhaps it has a large-capacity battery and solar panels,
or the batteries are manually replaced daily.

Maybe it's RFI from that floating Google data center barge. ;-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com