Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW -BTW

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Nov 1 11:08:41 EDT 2013

> My resolution is not as good as some people here, either. But where
> there's
> a will, there's often a way.  :-)

Many of the headings are misleading. Having been through this before several
times, much of the data is always grossly overstated.It is common to
exaggerate ability to determine direction.

It's almost impossible to obtain several degree direction accuracy without
either a rotatable loop with GOOD common mode rejection (some popular loop
antennas can have a ~20 degree or more skew between what are supposed to be
180 degree apart nulls, because they have poor feed designs) or an
interferometer of normal receiving antennas.

An 8-circle array in a very clear location with proper hardware design and
good element spacing can get within about 20 degrees.

Single long Beverages in an array of 8 antennas maybe within 30-35 degrees.

Broadside Beverages with wide spacing (~5/8th or wider) within about 20
degrees.

A three direction array only within about 60 degrees or so, if in a clear
spot and properly constructed.

An interferometer with a few wavelengths spacing within a few degrees.

A calibrated rotatable small loop without common mode skewing and in the
clear, which is actually a pretty rare case, can be within a few degrees.

My eight direction 350 ft diameter 8 circle, located out in a field 1500
feet or so from any re-radiators, can only resolve within +-22 degrees with
good reliability. When I use it as part of a calibrated interferometer
against Beverage arrays spaced ~1000 feet away, I can resolve the
directional difference between two signals 50 miles apart in New England.

When you draw the lines, be sure to allow for resolution of the antennas,
and not the absolute numbers.