Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sat Nov 2 22:31:10 EDT 2013

It's very strong here.  On a vertical it is running S9+10 to S9+15 on
peaks with QSB taking it down to S9.  As I posted earlier it was running
S1 to S7 at noon.  That was due to QSB.  I can hear it all day long.

I can tell it has a lot of multipath right now.  In the null of my
antenna it flutters around, up and down, and then completely disappears
for a little while.  Earlier when it was more stable it just flat
disappeared in my antenna null at 133 degrees.

My largest measurement error is probably in accurately measuring my
antenna position with a not too accurate compass.  I also measured the
offset between true north and compass direction. (I had it staked)
After checking that at a website just now, I see that I missed it by one
degree.  That would make my estimate of 133 degrees be 132 degrees.

Finally we have a measurement from Florida, and it is an interesting
one.  I don't know haw accurate the direction is, but it doesn't have to
be very accurate to conclude that the source in in the USA, not out on
one of the islands.  Is someone plotting this?

Jerry