Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 16:57:55 EST 2013

Good evening all,

Hate to burst the theories, but it appears the "carrier" on 3501.6 MHz
is a QRSS beacon operated by W4HBK.

I used Spectrum Lab and selected the 1-second dit in the "Quick
Settings" tab, Slow Morse Reception (QRSS) menu selection. The carrier
drops about 6 Hz from the "space" to the "mark" and decode with the eye.
Inter-character spacing is a dit, intra character spacing is a dah ....
both are on the "space", or higher tone. Idle period is also the "space"
tone.

I dropped W4HBK an e-mail to get further information on this beacon ...
he is also operating a QRSS beacon on 30 meters. His reply was:

"Hi, Rick.  Tnx for the report.  I am using  an eight second dot period
and transmitting on a frequency of 3500.8 with a frequency shift of 5
Hz.  You can see details of my mept at my blog:
http://pensacolasnapper.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-new-dds-mept.html

It is built around the DDS VFO kit sold by N3ZI and amplifier kit from
W8DIZ.  Power is 1 W to a 43 foot vertical."

73 bill w4hbk

Oh, his QTH is Gulf Breeze FL, near Pensacola.

"And now, back to our regularly scheduled program."

73
Rick
NM3G