Topband: Local noise source identification

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Nov 9 17:33:31 EST 2013

> I shut down all of the circuits in my house other than my shack and it did
> not disappear.
>
> Has anyone experienced something similar?

Constantly.  You took the right first step and determined that the noise
source is external to your home.  From here, the real work begins.  Trying
to get an opinion on the source is mostly a waste of your time.  You'll need
to get out and localize it with DF methods.

I would start by searching the RFI list archives.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/RFI/   There's a lot of good
information there to assist you with RFI source detection.  While you're
reading the information, keep in mind that methods, procedures and equipment
used to find power line noise - and switch-mode noise is considerably
different.

Paul, W9AC