Topband: Replacing F Connectors with BNCs

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Nov 14 09:34:57 EST 2013

There are push on F connectors, and I use them, but I use them wisely. I
minimize my dependence on having a perfect shield connection as much as
reasonably possible.

For example, my swap over from house operation to contest barn operation is
all via push-on F connections. I have zero problems with shield ingress. I
would not use them out in the rain, or in a situation where I could not
mitigate small issues with shield connection resistance.

A push-on F is about as reliable as a BNC electrically, although physically
it has no mechanical locking.