Topband: Don't give up AND log who worked the DX b4 and after!

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Nov 15 14:37:08 EST 2013

Correct Doug, Error creeps in so often with a DX-pedition and so if I
did not find my call I would start trying some Russian roulette and
plugged in K4VFZ or K4FZ instead, and bingo often there it was.  Once
from a super rare location I was logged as K44FZ.  On CW DXCC "K4VFZ"
has DXCC.  (This is not an issued license.)   One thing that would be
nice would be searches that permit some busted call wildcard searches on
the Club Log type data bases at least within a 1/2 hour plus or minus
time frame on a specific band an mode. I suggest let the aggrieved
amateur do the work rather than the overworked QSL manager. ARRL's LOTW
permits this with your uploaded contacts but not the other way primarily
to prevent fishing expeditions.  Without a doubt there are hundreds upon
hundreds of horror stories where a static crash or a tired DX-pedition
operator just entered the data incorrectly. The new LOTW upload software
even flags mismatch cross band ambiguities that often occur when you are
band hoping with some logging programs and the TX and RX frequencies are
out of sync and on different bands.  I have gone back to 2010 and found
nearly 300 errors where the RX frequency and the TX frequency show up on
different bands.  This is easy to do when you quickly jump bands or
modes with a VFO A and B not reset in the software.  It might be fine on
the radio but the software following is the issue. As a result the QSO
apears on your LOTW log but neither you nor the applicant can get LOTW
credit for the mismatch.   I was able to print out all the mismatched
LOTW past uploads and now are re-entering the corrected version at the
rate of about 25 per day.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ