Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Nov 16 06:46:28 EST 2013

>I need to isolate if a problem I am having is in a faulty 75 ohm coax
> (Remee RG6U flooded variety) where either a critter bit into the coax
> or a Snap-&-Seal 6QS connector failed, or an electronics issue is the
> culprit.
>
> What's my most expeditious way to prove if it is or is not the Coax?

MFJ analyzers, such as the MFJ-259B, have a distance-to-fault function. I
use it on my system, and can find a problem within a few feet on a 2000-3000
foot cable.

Of course a creative person could do the same thing with a simple RF
generator, a T connector, and some way of measuring signal level at one port
of the T.

73 Tom