Topband: DXCC Desk?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Nov 19 11:47:42 EST 2013

Len,  Kosovo at least counts in the CQ WW and other contests as a new
entity.

Z60WW (not Z60W) from the Republic of Kosovo will be 15M single band
in the CQWW CW.  OH2TA, Pekka, will operate using the Z61DX antennas.
Kosovo counts as a separate country multiplier in the CQWW.  QSL Z60WW ia OH2BH.

It really is just a matter of the DXCC "committee" giving a wink and a
nod on this one.  IMHO they must eschew all political considerations and
not just some of them.  For some strange reason the disputed rocks in
the south China Sea are countries and Kosovo is not.  This makes no
sense at all. It gives the impression to some, every time this happens,
that the fix is in and somebody writes the rules to fit the
circumstances.  Just like in the upcoming ARRL 160 meter contest
somebody decided that the Virgin Islands and all the other US
territories including K9W are not DX for that contest.  So rather than
going by logic and fairness these decisions are made for political
consideration by the establishment.  In the case of the ARRL contest my
former neighbor VP2VI was a DX station but me being a few miles away in
the USVI have no chance of even being in the top 100.  Why did this
happen?  Bob. VP2VI (W0DX) who lived on Tortolla made sure he was
included.  He was ARRL president at the time and a big 160 meter DX-er
and knew who to talk to at HQ.  Unfortunately HQ could not bend their
strange exclusionary rules anymore to include "all" DX but just some
while they turned their backs on us in the U.S. Territories.  Now in
this contest DX is prohibited from working DX....just wait for the
bedlam that issues when KH8 comes on during the contest and they have a
good opening to Europe and Asia in the middle of the ARRL 160 meter (DX)
contest?  The ARRL 160 contest rules are just plain dumb.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ