Topband: Fw: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

HAROLD SMITH JR w0rihps at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 21 23:08:55 EST 2013

I worked for many years in the Xray service business.
We use silicone grease in the plug in Anode and Cathode plugs. If
the connectors were not coated with silicone grease, The connectors would
explode. The cathode connector had 1/2 the tube voltage and the filament voltage.
The filament current was around 5 to 7 amps. The silicone grease had NO effect on the
current.
73 de Price W0Ri

People in automotive forums and other forums and hobbies think that also,

partly because they read stuff by Hams. Many people wrongly claim or think
"conductive" grease (which isn't actually conductive) aids connections and
dielectric grease insulates.

Dielectric grease has been used to preserve electrical connections in low
pressure connections and high pressure connections at least since the 1960's
or early 1970's.